Phishing is a type of scam that involves communications from someone pretending to be a trusted person or business in an attempt to steal your personal and/or financial information.
What does phishing look like?
- The message requests personal information or asks you to reply with your username, email address, and/or password. Chime will never ask for this sort of information in an email, text, phone call, or social media message.
- Phrases like “free money” and images showing luxury items or piles of cash are signs that what you’re reading or looking at is a scam.
- The sender's email doesn't match the name of the company. Sometimes, an email will say “Chime Banking” instead of just Chime.
- The URL doesn't match the company's website or contains links to fake login pages or password reset pages.
- The message looks significantly different from other messages. Most of our communications follow a similar style or template.
- The message is unsolicited and contains an attachment. Never click on an attachment from an unknown sender. If you don't trust a link in an email, don't click it. Instead, go directly to the website from your browser or to the app.
How do I protect myself?
- Follow the saying, “If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.”
- Never share usernames and/or passwords with anyone, including your close family and friends.
- Don’t write any identifying information down on paper or in any other non-secure place.
- Never share personal information with strangers or on non-secure websites.
- Remember to enable push notifications in the Chime app. We’ll alert you there if we notice any suspicious activity.
- Monitor your account regularly either online or through your mobile app because you know your activity better than anyone.
- Be extra careful during tax season. Scam activity increases at this time.
- Consider shredding any documents with personal and confidential information on them.
Chime will only communicate with you through our official channels:
- Email: addresses that end in @chime.com
- Phone: (844) 244-6363
- Short code: 24463
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/chime
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chime
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chime/
- TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@chime
To confirm the communication you've received is from us, double-check the email address or look for the blue checkmark next to our name on Twitter, Facebook, TikTok, and Instagram.