Your first step of becoming a Chime member is to open a Checking Account. Here’s everything you need to know before opening an account:
- You must have a valid Social Security number
- You must be at least 18 years old to open a Checking Account
- You must be a citizen or a permanent resident of the 50 United States and Washington, DC
- You must use a United States Post Office-recognized residential mailing address
- You must not have an existing account with Chime
You can open a Checking Account in the mobile application or on the website.
- Go to www.chime.com.
- Click Sign Up and follow the instructions.
- Provide your personal information correctly.
Double-check your name, email address, phone number, and SSN before submitting your enrollment.
Frequently asked questions
Why was I unable to open a Checking Account?
Chime uses a third party to confirm the personal information that you enter when you apply for a Checking Account. If your personal information cannot be verified, the application will be denied. Here are some tips to help you with the enrollment process:
- Make sure that you do not already have an account through Chime. Only one account is allowed per person.
- Provide all the items requested accurately.
- If you tried to sign up on the Chime website, download the app and sign up that way. If you tried the app first, try the website instead.
- Submit a photo ID, if requested. We only accept the following, unexpired, forms of identification:
- U.S. driver's license
- U.S. state ID
- U.S. passport
- U.S. passport card
- Permanent resident card
- Employment authorization card (work permit)
- Upload clear, well-lit images.
- Complete the entire enrollment process before closing the page.
What do I do if I enrolled with an incorrect email address?
You can correct your email address in the Chime app or on our website. Visit How do I update my email address? to learn how.
Does Chime run a credit check to open a Checking Account?
No. Chime doesn’t perform credit checks to open a Checking Account.
Does Chime offer joint accounts or business accounts?
No. Chime doesn’t offer joint accounts and business accounts. Chime accounts are for individual and personal use.
Does Chime offer secondary cards?
No. Chime doesn’t offer secondary cards. Only one Chime Visa® Debit Card is allowed per Checking account.
Having trouble? Get help right away by:
- Calling Chime Member Services at (844) 244-6363
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org